Monday 10 March 2008

Oblomov Syndrome

A friend of mine recently told me he is reading a book from the Russian writer Ivan Goncharov, and the main character of the book is a guy called Oblomov. This character is always creating new projects in his mind but never putting any of them in action. He is creating a world for himself, he is always busy, doing nothing...

This character reminded me of a situation I had with a friend recently who has been constantly telling me that they will do a certain thing for the last 3 weeks and not doing it. The intention is there. But it's not enough. Well, I have an intention to buy a house, I have an intention to learn flamenco dance, I have an intention to move to Caribbbean.
Does that mean I am going to do these in the near future? No way! Everybody has an intention to do something; the thing is to put it into action and do it.
Intention is just a starting point, it's the trigger, but it means nothing unless you put it into action. So, do what you say. Because next time you say something, people will not believe you. You loose from your credibility if not already have...

A good English saying for this is: "Walk the walk not just talk the talk."

2 comments:

No More Virgilius said...

just an excerpt:

http://postmortemofvirgilius.blogspot.com/2006/10/dostum-yevgeny-shaskine-selam-olsun.html

miss interpreter said...

the link redirects to a quote from the novel. thanks..